Safety Assurance Engineer
Safety Assurance Engineer
Near Earth Autonomy is creating a future where autonomous flight is commonplace and safe. Our technology enables aircraft ranging from sub-meter to full-scale to autonomously inspect, map, survey, and transport. We are serious about system design, development, real-world testing, and delivering working, useful systems to customers.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
The Safety Assurance Engineer (SAE) will be part of the Systems Engineering group, contributing to the development and deployment of aviation autonomy systems with a focus on safety assurance. This role will apply safety assurance practices to hardware and software coupled systems and will work closely with systems engineers, internal stakeholders, software developers, and internal system operators. The SAE will help to refine safety assurance processes and to enact them across development cycles for one or more advanced prototype and production designs.
A summary of roles and responsibilities includes:
- Safety assurance:
- Safety case development
- Development of company safety assurance practices, applying industry safety standards and practices
- Analysis of functional safety (system faults) and safety of the intended functionality (free of system faults)
- Functional hazard, risk, fault tree, and failure modes and effects analysis
- System design and operations recommendations
- Metrics tracking and feedback for continuous improvement
- Safety-driven design assurance:
- Requirements definition, decomposition, and analysis
- Tracing of design assurance elements
- System verification and validation, creating plans, coordinating and carrying out tests
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant engineering field.
- Solid understanding of software and hardware design as well as deployed operations.
- Relevant industry experience participating in at least one complete product cycle.
- Experience working safety assurance in compliance with ARP4761, ISO 26262, UL4600, MIL-STD-822, or other relevant standards.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Experience in aviation, autonomous vehicles, or defense markets.
- Experience in Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE).
- Experience in aerospace product qualification or certification.
- Proficiency in a safety assurance tool (e.g. ANSYS medini Analyze)
- Proficiency in a requirements tracking tool (e.g. DOORS, Jama) and MS Office applications.
Due to the nature of Near Earth's funding, this position is restricted to US citizens.
- Compensation compatible with qualification
- Stock options
- 401(k) plan
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Paid-time off and parental leave
- Life insurance, long-term and short-term disability benefits
Due to the nature of our federal contracts, this position is subject to successful completion of a background check.